John Scott Denison passes away May 16
Services for John Scott Denison, 83, of College Station and formerly of Salado, were May 21 at Memorial Funeral Chapel in College Station.
The Rev. Phillip McLarty of the First Presbyterian Church of Bryan officiated. Burial followed in the College Station Cemetery.
Denison died May 16 in the Scott and White Hospital in Temple.
He was born in Waco June 18, 1918 and received a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from New Mexico State University and a master’s degree from Texas A&M University. He was director of the Electric Power Institute and was retired as a professor of electrical engineering at Texas A&M. He was a member of the Texas and National Society of Professional Engineers and the Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers. He also was a member of the National Education Committee and the Power Society.
He served on the President’s Faculty Advisory Committee and was chairman of the Planning Committee for the Conference for Protective Relay Engineers and the University Utilities Advisory Committee. He was on the planning committee for the Annual Municipal Electric Short School, the Power Distribution Conference at the University of Texas and was responsible for the Annual Short Course for Electrical Metermen.
He received the outstanding faculty award, “Engineer of the Year” Brazos Chapter, the Convair Award and the IEEE Centennial Medal. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II and was a Presbyterian.
He was preceded in death by a daughter, Carla Denison White.
Survivors include his wife, Minta “Doll” Denison of College Station; a son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Lina Denison of Richmond; a brother and sister-in-law, Mac and Eddie Denison of Waco; a sister, Jane McLendon of Little Rock, Ark. and three grandsons.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Electrical Engineering Department at Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843-3128, to the Texas Lions Camp, P.O. Box 247, Kerrville, TX 78029 or to a charity of choice.