Visiting shops and speaking to customers are always interesting and beneficial. Different perspectives are received and recommendations given. At the end-of-the-day, it is as Sterling Robertson said in Jackie Mills’ Salado Legends, “We’ve got a town that’s full blown. This little village is great!”
Here are a few perspectives and recommendations:
1. More stores are selling on-line and doing a booming business. In hot or cold weather, people buy from their homes. Some stores are experiencing double-digit increases in sales. “Social media and websites are worth learning. They will get you through lean months.”
2. “Put the last 4-years of construction behind and go forward. Make things happen, create energy, and get excited!
3 More events that include all of Main and Royal Street simultaneously along with more I-35 signs.”
4. “Historic Salado is our center-piece. However, new businesses are coming and Stagecoach is re-opening. We must be good neighbors and not fearful of competition. New businesses will attract new customers.”
5. August hot weather and school starting difficult. “Please, Salado folks, make a special effort to shop Salado this month.”
6. “Remain positive and open-minded” Overall consensus: “when we hear negative stuff; we do not listen, repeat it, or appreciate it. It hurts our business and Village. Those who do it need to-get-a-life.”
7. Many visitors said: “Most beautiful, friendly town! The best!”
8 Outstanding customer service and word-of-mouth: most important. “Best compliment: “I love Ace Hardware. When I walk in, I hear ‘Hello, what can I help you find.’ That beats searching hours in Lowes and Home Depot.”
Happenings this week: Three meetings with TXDOT and James’ Senior engineers; Economic Development meeting; heavy BOA agenda: 2017 budget and personnel business. Art Show: Saturday/Sunday, Pace Park. Last LEGENDS performance for this year, Saturday, Tablerock — tremendous show.